Frizzy hair is a problem for many women, especially this time of year when the air is so dry. But what actually causes the tell-tale frizziness?
Frizz occurs when the cuticle layer of your hair is raised. This allows moisture to pass through and swell the individual hair strands. As a result, your hair appears dry and frizzy, rather than smooth and well-defined.
Curly vs Straight Hair
Generally, people with curly hair are more prone to frizz than people with naturally straight hair. That’s because of the dehydration of the strands that can leave curly hair more vulnerable to frizzing.
So What Causes Frizzy Hair – Dehydrated Hair
But anybody can get frizzy hair depending on the circumstances. Some of the most common causes for the dehydration that results in frizzy hair are:
- Not drinking enough water. To remain fully hydrated, you should drink a minimum of half your weight in ounces per day. It’s also important to follow a balanced diet.
- Going to bed without putting satin or silk accessories in your hair. Frizziness can occur when your hair is rubbing against dry materials, such as your pillowcases or sheets.
- People with coily and kinky hair often can experience frizzy hair when the oil the scalp naturally secretes doesn’t make it down the strands of hair over the days after washing.
- Not conditioning enough or using hair care products with the wrong porosity level for your type of hair.
- Some shampoos can overly dry hair.
- If your protein to moisture balance is off, or if you are using too much protein and not enough moisture, you can get frizzy hair.
- In some cases, the oils and moisturizers you use are not strong enough to penetrate the hair shaft. This is common if you use inexpensive bargain hair care products.
- Some medications can cause changes in your body that affects your hair.
- If you have over-processed chemicals in your hair – such as high-lift dye or bleach –these can damage the cuticle, causing frizzy hair.
The Perfect Frizzy Hair Solution
Fortunately, eliminating frizzy hair is easy when you get a Brazilian keratin hair straightening treatment. This can eliminate frizz for as long as 10 to 12 weeks.