Many women who have never had a Brazilian keratin hair straightening treatment are often apprehensive about what the experience entails. They arrive at the salon anxious, nervous and scared.
The truth is there is nothing to worry about. Keratin treatments are painless and, in some case, can actually be quite relaxing or invigorating.
Walking You Through the Process
If you are planning to have a Brazilian keratin hair straightening treatment and aren’t sure what to expect, here’s a timeline of a typical treatment:
- When you arrive at the salon, your stylist will most likely bring you for a pre-treatment clarifying shampoo. This washes away any impurities and residual coloring. It also opens up your hair cuticles so that they can receive the keratin treatment.
- Your stylist will then dry your hair until it is about 75% dry.
- At this point, the keratin lotion will be brushed into your hair gradually. After your hair has been fully saturated with the keratin solution, you will be given a “time out” so that it has time to be absorbed into your hair.
- After about 10 to 15 minutes, your hair will be blown dry once again.
- A flat iron will then be used to infuse the keratin into your hair shafts.
This entire process typically takes between 90 minutes to two and a half hours, depending on the length and texture of your hair.
Keep Hair Intact for Three Days
After you leave the salon, the keratin treatment will remain in your hair for about three days, during which you should avoid using hair clips, pins, headbands, or tying your hair into a ponytail.
After three days, you wash your hair using a special keratin shampoo and conditioner.
And that’s it. Your Brazilian keratin hair straightening treatment will last anywhere from a couple of weeks to two months or more.